About the Department
The department of Anatomy offers high quality education which enables the student to understand the basic structure of the human body. Understanding of the anatomy of different body parts and organs and tissues of the body are important to diagnose the health problems and medical and surgical treatment of those diseases. Understanding the anatomical relations forms the basis for all the surgical broad specialties in medical sciences.
The department has a full fledged teaching programmed which include.
- Theory classes in Gross Anatomy, Histology & Embryology.
- Tutorials in Gross Anatomy, Radiology & Clinical Anatomy.
- Osteology & Radiology demonstrations.
- Cadaver dissection.
- Small group teachings
- Practical in Histology.
- Museum study.
The department is well equipped with state of the art Lecture Galleries, Demonstration room, Dissection hall, Histology practical lab and Museum. The students are encouraged to take part in quiz programme and seminars, Regional & National conferences. Part completion tests, Internal assessment for both theory & practical are conducted at regular intervals to check the progress of the student. MCQ tests are also held which helps the students in their PG Entrance exam preparation. Weak students are helped by mentors in overcoming their obstacles. The faculty of the department of Anatomy also take part in integrated teaching programmes of the institute, different academic programmes in the institute like CMEs and guest lectures. Students are also motivated to take part in celebrating National programmes.
Future plans :- The anatomy department is having a plan to establish a well equipped, functional and service oriented Genetic Lab in the next 5 years which will help us to go for cytogenetic studies of congenital anomalies and syndromic patients and also to evaluate the infertile patients and give them Genetic Counselling.
1. Dr. G.V. Siva Prasad, Professor & HOD
2. Dr. E Ravitheja, Professor
3. Mr. U. Ravi Kumar, Assistant Professor
4. Mr. Ch. Maheswara Rao, Assistant Professor
5. Dr. P Sasidhar, Assistant Professor
6. Dr. T Rajasekhar, Tutor
7. Dr. J Pavani, Tutor
8. Dr. M Akilesh, Tutor
9. Dr. D Shiva, Tutor
10. Dr. Ch Shankar Rao, Tutor
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
Biochemistry is a branch of medicine involved with the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms for understanding human health and diseases as normal biochemical processes are the basis of health and most of the diseases have a biochemical basis. It includes study of different types of molecules in hopes of bettering technology and medicine. In routine clinical practice, biochemistry deals with analysis of bodily fluids for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
About the Department:
The Department of Biochemistry, Great Eastern Medical School and Hospital was established in the year 2010. It is located at ground floor of college. The faculty in this department are qualified, well experienced and are involved in teaching programmes fulfilling the requirement of undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses.
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate training.
- To provide Clinical biochemistry Laboratory services to patients attending Great Eastern Medical School and Hospital.
- To promote Research activities.
Undergraduates are trained to acquire knowledge to integrate molecular events with functioning of the human body in health and disease as well as taught basic practical skills for biochemical investigations in order to support clinical diagnosis of common disorders in the community. The various undergraduate courses handled in this department include MBBS, BPT, BSc (MLT) & BSc Nursing.
The methodology of teaching includes
- Didactic Lectures using audio visual aids
- Hands on training for analytical practical experiments
- Horizontal and vertical teaching for clinically important topics
The undergraduates undergo a program spread over one year encompassing:
- Theory classes
- Short group teachings
- Clinical laboratory data interpretation
Special Demonstration Experiments with hands on training for undergraduates include:
- Operation of Colorimeter and Spectrophotometer
- Analysis of samples by semiautoanalyser
- Protein electrophoresis
- Paper and thin-layer chromatography
- Basic Molecular biology techniques – DNA isolation, PCR, Agarose gel electrophoresis
The postgraduates are trained to acquire an in depth knowledge of the fundamental principles of the subject of biochemistry, so that they can apply this knowledge for understanding the basis of health and disease. This also helps them to pursue a career in one or more of the following facets of biochemistry teaching, diagnostic work and research.
Postgraduate teaching includes:
- Journal club
- Clinical case discussion
- Group discussion
- Clinicobiochemical correlations
- Independent handling of laboratory equipment and Procedures
Postgraduates are also encouraged to present posters and papers in regional and national conferences.
Teaching and learning Resources / Facilities available:
- Lecture galleries with A/C, LCD projector and audiovisual equipment.
- Demonstration hall with LCD projector and audiovisual equipment.
- Student Practical Laboratory
- –For 75 students
–Ante Room with chemicals and glassware
— Ante Room for preparation of reagents
–120 books, national and international textbooks
–Desktop with internet connection
Clinical biochemistry lab, a part of central diagnostics laboratory is located at first floor of GEMS Hospital.It has experienced technical staff and provides diagnostic services around the clock.It has sophisticated IT enabled services which permits viewing of blood test results immediately after completion of analysis and also previous laboratory data of a patient if necessasary. Laboratory is strictly following Internal & External Quality control (CMC,Vellore) programmes.
Investigations done in Biochemistry laboratory:
Renal Function Tests
Liver function tests
Diabetic profile HbA1C C-Peptide & Anti GAD assay – available soon
Cardiac profile (CK, CK-MB, Trop T &I)
Amylase, Lipase, LDH, ADA
Calcium, Phosphorus, Uric acid
Serum protein Electrophoresis
Coagulation profile: PT, APTT
Blood gas analysis
Analysis of other fluids: CSF, Pleural, Peritoneal and Synovial Fluid
Hormones : Thyroid Profile , FT3, FT4,
FSH, LH, Prolactin, Testosterone, Cortisol, Estradiol, Progesterone
Tumor markers: CA-125, PSA,
Autoanalyzer (Roche Cobas C311)
Semiautoanalyzer (Erba Chem 7) – 2 no
Electrolyte analyzer (Easylyte)
Blood Gas Analyzer (ABL 80 flex Radiometer)
Coagulation analyzer (Meril)
Electrophoresis system, Densitometer
Hot air Oven
Deep freezer (-20oC) & Freezer (4o – 80c)
Millipore water purification system
The department has a well equipped spacious research lab in 3 rd floor of GEMS college to carry out research projects. Currently, the biochemistry department is associated with Central Research Laboratory for pursuing advanced research using newer molecular biology techniques.The department also encourages UG students to take up ICMR – STS projects.
Six Publications are published in the national indexed journals in the last 3 years. At present there are 4 ongoing projects in the department.
1. Dr. B Roopa Latha, MD, Professor & HOD
2. Dr. D. Lakshmi Lalitha, MD, Professor
3. Dr. M.B.C.R.Naidu, MSc PhD, Professor
4. Dr. B. Jyotchna Devi, MD, Assistant Professor
5. Mr. Pradeep Kumar Vegi , MSc Med , Assistant Professor
6. Mr. U Gayathri , MSc Med, Assistant Professor
7. Mr. P Eswar Rao , MSc Med, Assistant Professor
About the Department:
The Department of Physiology took shape and became fully operational right from the inception of the Medical College in August 2010. Since then the department is actively engaged in teaching Under Graduate students and carrying out Research activities.
Physiology department is situated in the left wing, 1st floor of the college building and is constructed according to the MCI specifications.
The UG (MBBS) course is fully recognized by the MCI. The Department has full fledged infrastructure and equipment.
All the faculty members are well qualified as per the norms of MCI. Faculty is well equipped to apply the subject on clinical basis and to demonstrate the subject practically.
TEACHING & LEARNING METHODS
Traditional method of teaching is blended with recent advances in the field of Physiology
Didactic lectures, Practical sessions, Demonstrations are supported by enriched learning methods such as Tutorials, small group discussions, seminars, quizzes and monthly tests. Problem oriented analytical approaches are practiced to optimize the learning experience.
Regular evaluation process of every individual student, counselling and feed back on the progress of their wards to individual parents is implemented
Teaching Learning resources
- Over Head Projectors
- Laptop & LCD Projector
- Desktop with internet facility
- Charts & Graphs
- A/C Lecture Hall Complete with audiovisual aids : 175 capacity
- Demonstration Rooms : Two Tutorial Halls for small group discussions with a capacity of 50 students each, equipped with audio visual facilities
- Separate Laboratories along with preparation room for each laboratory for
- Clinical Physiology
- Amphibian/Experimental physiology
- Mammalian physiology
- Research room
- Library : With all routine text books, reference books -both Indian & International authors, Journals
- Seminar Room
- Teaching Staff – Individual Rooms for – Professors, Associate professor, Assistant Professor, Common Room for Tutors, & one room for non teaching staff
- Department Office Room with Computer, printer.
ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY
Teaching Programme for I yr MBBS Students :
- Theory Classes – 220 classes
- Practicals – 100 Classes
- Tutorials – 30 hours
- Demonstrations – 20
- Seminars – 5
- Group Discussions – 4
- Medical Quiz – 1
- Monthly Tests – 10
- Internal Assessment Examinations both Theory & Practicals (theory – 3 and Practicals – 2 /year)
- Assignments covering important topic areas.
MAJOR EQUIPMENTS IN THE DEPARTMENT:
Hematology Lab –
- Light and compound microscopes
- Digital photometer
- Double Distillation water plant
- ESRITE (ESR kit)and other routine equipments for hematology experiments
Clinical Lab – Apart from routine instruments used for clinical examination it is equipped with other special equipment’s like:
- Mosso’s Ergograph
- Peak flow meter
- Grip dynamometer
- ECG machine
- Bicycle ergo graphs
- Douglas bags
Electrophysiology Lab – For Teaching and Research activities, equipped with
- ECG Machine
- 8 Channel Poly graph
- Physiograph 3 channel,1 channel
Mammalian Lab –
- Super speed kymograph
- Dales Organ baths
- Monobath thermostat
Amphibian Lab – Instruments for carrying out experiments on intact and isolated-Heart and muscle experiments
- Student stimulators
- Student kymograph
1. Dr. Gali Parvathi, Professor & HOD
2. Dr. C. Moses, Associate Professor
3. Dr. R. Havilah Twinkle, Assistant Professor
4. Dr. Pratima dinkar Khatake, Assistant Professor